An assertion is a statement.
A proposition is an assertion which is either true or false (but not both).
The Following are propositions:
- 4 is a prime number
- 3 + 3 = 6
- The moon is made of cheese.
The following are not propositions:
- x+y > 4. Is this true or false? It depends on the value of x and y, the statement takes a true or false value.
- x=3. You cannot associate a truth value to this because it simply assigns a value to x.
- Are you leaving? This is not an assertion, it is a question.
- Buy 4 Books This is not an assertion, it is an order.